|Posted by email@example.com on July 2, 2017 at 3:00 PM|
Celebrating Fourth of July sober this year? Any ideas on how to spend this day off work surrounded by family and friends while BarBQing and enjoying the ongoing celebrations without a drink?
Fireworks and alcohol are a common theme as we celebrate our countries independence. Individuals in recovery must remain vigilant even while celebrations are going on. It is a perfect opportunity to assert your own independence by saying no to alcohol. Although challenging for those early in recovery with proper planning the Fourth of July or any other occasion can be fully enjoyed SOBER.
Who says you need alcohol to enjoy the Fourth of July? Here are five tips to an enjoyable, sober day:
1. Attend a 12 step meeting. During any holiday there are more meetings available. Search for one near you to find out holiday schedule and any activities happening.
2. Get together with other sober friends. Round up a group of friends who are in the same journey as you. Where ever you go you won't feel alone and can serve as a strength for one another.
3. Plan a sober party. You choose the place, refreshments and meal to serve and invite those who support you in your sober journey.
4. Be prepared with responses to turn down alcohol if offered. If attending a party,
5. Play games or sports. Stay active, keep busy and don't forget to laugh.
Now go and celebrate independence day and have fun. You can do it!!! Wishing everyone a safe and sober Fourth of July surrounded by your loved ones. Comment below how you stayed sober this Fourth of July.